RANDOM QUOTES, RANDOM THOUGHTS



Saturday, February 14, 2009

DAY ELEVEN: CHENGDU, BACK INTO XI'AN (AGAIN!!) (4 JAN 2009)

The place which I did not managed to visit last March in Chengdu was the Wuhou Temple (Ancestral Temple of Marquis Wu) 武侯祠. Visiting hours were over when I made it there last time. I had to visit this place having been entrigued by the Chinese classic, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 三国 ever since I read the first dual language copy of the book. Coupled with the captivating Made in China TV series (not even Hongkong or Hollywood could have made this into celluloid by any commercially-viable means!) ,I have been forever an admirer of this classic. One could learn a lot from this book, why it was never essential reading in schools here is a big mystery to me.



My favourite hero of the Three Kingdoms was Guan Yu - an epitome of honour, loyalty, bravery and righteousness. There were stone slabs carvings of some of Guan Yu's heroics worth checking out in this place.


The brains of the Three Kingdom was undoubtably Zhuge Liang (孔明), this temple was built in his memory.

The carriage and fan that were synonymous with Kong Ming.
Life-sized bonsai.

Jinli street, adjacent to the Wuhou temple.
The last time I was here was it was in the evening, not as crowded in the morning-early afternoon. Just as colourful without the neon lights though. Re-visited the one and only book stall inside this street and picked up a couple of books. The food street still as delectable as ever.




Amazingly, I booked the air ticket Chengdu back to Xi'an through mobile phone and the ticket was delivered to Wuhou Temple main entrance while I was breezing through the place. It was for the late afternoon flight on the same day! Orginally was contemplating on the idea of taking the train to Xi'an but it was more feasible by air as the costs were nearly the same and it was difficult to get a decent priced train ticket departing in the same day in this country!
And so I headed back to Xi'an enroute to Beijing for the heading-home leg of this trip. I was unable to make any headway with the original plan to get into Inner Mongolia to visit the grassland in winter hence I took the easy route back into familiar territory, which is Xi'an. The reasons remained mostly the same as in this earlier post.

Checked into the same City Hotel in Xi'an and immediately headed straight to my beloved food street in the Muslim Quarters. This time to check out the mouth-watering 灌汤包 at 老海家 which was recommended by the Huashan guy from Shenzhen. It was before 8 pm but the place was already closed! Business was that good!
No choice went over to another one called 贾三. There were apparently 2 shops, I went to the newer branch instead of the main shop. Ordering was fast-food like - stood in line at the cashier's counter, select from the menu on the walls, pay and take your seat. The service was really fast. I ordered 1 serving of mutton-filled dumplings and a bowl of the incredibly delicious 8-treasures porridge. Just look at the pictures below, no need to say any more about what I thought about this treat!







Also took a serving of their irresistable version of shashlik (Russian)/satay (Singapore/Malaysia) - 烤肉串at a nearby street stall downed with cold sour prune juice drink (酸梅汤) - Heavenly!

No comments: