RANDOM QUOTES, RANDOM THOUGHTS



Saturday, February 21, 2009

DAY TWELVE: XI'AN (5 JAN 2009)

In the late morning went to check out Walmart across the street from the hotel. This had been a habit of mine for many years - checking out hypermarkets such as Walmart, Carrefour, Makro etc. in places where I visited where any of these existed. Just like checking out McDonald's in every city is a very good guide to the rough cost of living in different cities, checking out the hypermart is also a good gauge on the general standard of living and purchasing power of different places. It is very interesting to see the merchandising mix of these hypermarts in different countries. The Walmart that I visited in Xi'an was rather small in size as compared to the typical size of a hypermarket. The most interesting thing I saw was the price of a bottle of beer (on speciall offer) was cheaper than a 1.5 litre mineral water!

After that Walmart "tour", went over to the computer market area via local public bus. This was yet another "bad" habit of mine accumulated over the years. Again it was to see the merchandising mix as well as the price parity between different places. Heading further southwards was the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. I was there previously to watch the night musical fountain but this time around I wanted to mount the pagoda itself and also to see the temple (Famenshi 法門寺) as well. Lucky I made the decision to re-visit Xi'an a 2nd time, otherwise I would have missed out this place totally. Definitely worth visiting, for the great views atop the pagoda and the buddha relics inside the pagoda which I managed to take some very good detailed shots of the relics. I also spent quite a period of time at the highest level, alone with no one else around (it was near closing time). The feeling of peace and tranquility was unspeakable. I even laid flat on my back quietly taking in the view of the ceiling of the pagoda roof.


Statue of Tripitaka at the entrance to the temple.



The entrance to the pagoda.


Buddha relics (舍利子)
Buddha's footprint in stone tablet.

Views from the pagoda:


This was on the ceiling at the uppermost level of the pagoda. I took this while lying flat on my back on the wooden floor. The words were commemorating Tripitaka who went to the West to obtain the buddhist scriptures.


The pagoda at dusk.

For dinner I went (yet again) back to the Muslim Quarters hoping to check out 老海家灌汤包子店 which was closed the night before. Could not believe it, it was closed early again! Really frustrating. Ended up checking out the main 贾三shop instead. It was a bit different at this main shop, no need to place your order at the cashier's counter. Order was placed with the waiter or waitress. Also there was some disparity in taste between this main shop and the branch which I ate last night. The main shop's dumplings, although smaller and not as much meat fillings as that at the branch, they did taste better. The 8-treasure porridge was much much better than the branch - thicker and sweeter. Of course accompanied by the standard fare of prune juice drink 酸梅汤.
After that was attracted by the Hot and Sour soup in another small shop. However this was a big mistake in judgement - I asked for chilli! The soup was already pepper-hot (very) and so the chilli made it burnt my taste bud like a volcanic explosion! My lips were dancing after finishing the small bowl of soup. I did like the pepper-hot taste of the soup though. I recovered by drinking hot tea to "kill" the burning sensation in mouth.


Was curiously attracted by the long queues at this shop and the shop name "South East Asia steam cakes". Did not knew anything like this ever existed in South East Asia hence simply joined the queue and bought a pack to find out what it was.
It was steamed glutinous rice with red bean paste, sweet stuff. Probably adapted from Thai, Burmese or Vietnamese.
The Drum Tower in night-glo.

No comments: